本文由 Jeff2002-07-20 發表於 "吉他精華" 討論區

1. Jeff

Jeff 吉他版主

註冊日期:
    2001-09-01
    文章:
    讚:
    這個製琴師來自北美新英格蘭地區,請看 insider 說實話:

Going against the conventional rules of sales info, this is written in the first person perspective. I felt the need to do this so that I could express some personal opinions about the industry.

I have been handcrafting custom instruments for almost ten years, and during that time a lot has happened in the world of bass. Ever increasing numbers of players have become interested in owning custom instruments. This is due partly because of certain players, such as Les Claypool and Victor Wooten, being raised to prominence holding custom instruments, and partly due to an increased range of aftermarket hardware and electronics. As demand grew, so did the number of boutique companies sporting the labels "custom" and "hand-crafted". Some of the companies deserve these labels, while others use them simply as catch-phrases. A handcrafted, custom instrument is one that has been constructed by specific maker for an individual client, the two working together to achieve a unique work of art and functioning tool of the highest possible quality.

One-of-a-kind items always demand a higher price. Through the past years, paying $2000 to $3000 for a custom guitar or bass has become much more expected and accepted by the general public. Unfortunately, nothing is being done to help the consumer judge whether particular instruments are worth the hefty price tag. As certain makers became more popular, they increased their production methods for mass production. The instruments are no longer of the original quality, but the price remains the same. This is necessary to finance equipment and staff. As production models now are priced as customs once were, certain makers have boosted handcrafted instruments from $3000-$6000. This is most often the result of name recognition controlling the market. I feel that price gouging is becoming a problem in this market. Recently, I have read reviews that strongly upset me. When paying $2500 for a bolt-on j-bass copy, it should not be necessary to pay hundreds more for the figured top and gold hardware that make it look so pretty in the review. Likewise, there is no justification for a passive bolt-on 4-string selling for $3500. None.

I find a good test of company ethics is the gold hardware option. To completely outfit a bass in gold costs the maker about $50 extra and no more time or effort than chrome. Some charge $300 because people are willing to pay it. This shows a lack of respect for what should be valued customers. Despite what manufacturers try to impress upon players, a custom instrument is not simply a choice of finish colors or exotic facings. When being hand made, all aspects of the instrument can be addressed. The shape of the body, contouring, bridge style, string width, pick-up placement, knob configuration, tone woods, facings, fingerboard, width of the fingerboard, number of frets, fret size, scale length, inlay, neck contour and thickness, tuner configuration, overall weight and construction can all be specified.

A custom instrument is expensive by necessity; it is an investment for a dedicated musician. It becomes necessary only when there is no production model that has all of the characteristics required. Potential customers frequently ask me why my prices are so much lower than other makers. There are a few reasons for this. I have always kept my expenses low. One of the main factors in many companies' price tags is advertising. I have never had to pay for advertising, relying solely on word of mouth to create new business. I believe that when buying from a maker, you are investing in a long term relationship. The more experience a maker has, the better he will be able to meet your needs and solve future problems. Some makers have more experience than me, many have less. I have always accepted unique requirements from clients to continually broaden my abilities as a luthier.

[​IMG]

官方網站在這裡: http://www.stambaughdesigns.com/

分享此頁面