文章:
    讚:
    http://www.glguitars.com/
    http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=341

George Fullerton, 1923-2009
    By Jeff Owens

[​IMG]
    George Fullerton in 2007.

Fender is deeply saddened to learn of the loss of a dear and longtime friend and family member, George Fullerton.

Fullerton, 86, passed away Saturday, July 4, in Fullerton, Calif.

As a lifelong friend and colleague of Leo Fender and one of the first employees of the Fender Electric Instrument Co., Fullerton was an ever-present figure during Fender’s original 1950s-’60s “Leo years,” and was one of the close confidants to whom Leo Fender often turned when designing and producing his guitars and amplifiers.

In particular, Fullerton is often credited with design contributions for Fender’s—and the world’s—first successful solid-body Spanish-style electric guitar, the Esquire® (very quickly renamed the Broadcaster and then Telecaster®).

After leaving Fender around 1970, Fullerton co-founded G&L Musical Instruments with Leo Fender and Dale Hyatt (Fullerton was the “G” in “G&L”). Coming full circle, Fullerton returned to Fender in 2007 with the introduction of the Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition George Fullerton 50th Anniversary Stratocaster® guitar and Relic Tweed Pro Junior™ Amp.

Born George William Fullerton in Hindsville, Ark., on March 7, 1923, he moved to California shortly before World War II. In the late 1940s, as a young man with a keen interest in electronics and considerable artistic talent, Fullerton eyed a career in Southern California’s flourishing post-war aircraft industry. However, when he met and befriended Leo Fender, Leo suggested a different area where George’s aptitude for electronics and art might be put to good use—guitar design. Fullerton at first resisted his friend’s invitations to come and help build steel guitars and amps, as he told Fender in 2007:

“You know, it’s a funny thing,” he said. “I never wanted to build guitars. I never intended to. Leo used to beg me to come over there and work for them. And I said, ‘Leo, I don’t want to build that kind of guitar; I’m studying electronics.’”

But when Fender confided in Fullerton about plans for a new kind of electric guitar, the young student’s interest was piqued, and he reported for work at Fender on Feb. 2, 1948.

“When he designed a solid-body guitar, it really turned me on to them,” Fullerton said in 2007. “Many nights, Leo and I would be down there till 2:00 in the morning still working on designing. My family never did see me in the daytime—I was gone all day and gone half the night.”

Fullerton’s name appears often in accounts of the Fender company’s formative days and early years.

“I think the key to George’s success was his ability, in the shop, to translate Leo’s ideas into products,” said Richard Smith, author of Fender: the Sound Heard ’Round the World and other acclaimed guitar books. “I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that George was a noted artist—he won some painting awards after he retired here in Orange County. He had a real visual sense, and Leo didn’t draw as well as George. So I’m fairly convinced, although this has never really been confirmed, that much of the shape of the Telecaster was George’s interpretation. I think George’s strength was of the hands-on variety in the factory—his ability to use the machines and his talent as a craftsman.”

Further, Smith said, Fullerton was “the kind of guy that everybody liked—very personable, and all the employees liked working with him and for him when he was the shop manager. He genuinely was a nice guy.”

Tom Wheeler, former Guitar Player magazine editor and noted author of books such as The Stratocaster Chronicles and The Soul of Tone: Celebrating 60 Years of Fender Amps, said Fullerton “appreciated the fact that he was an eyewitness to history; that he had an opportunity to contribute to some of the most meaningful and significant musical instruments of the 20th century.”

“And George was always very kind to me,” Wheeler said. “Long before people in our guitar community might have recognized my name from books and so on, he would always take time to speak with me—he would share his memories and his insights, and I remember him for being such a nice man.”

Fullerton was also fondly remembered by those at Fender Musical Instruments Corporation headquarters in Scottsdale, Ariz.

“He was one of the guys who paved the way,” said Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop director. “He was one of the guys who made it possible for all of us to be here today at Fender.”

Funeral services are planned for 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 25, at Crystal Cathedral Arboretum in Orange, Calif.

2. qweff110

qweff110 New Member

註冊日期:
    2009-07-10
    文章:
    讚:
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch police have arrested twin brothers on suspicion of robbery after their alleged
    victim spotted a picture of them following him on Google's Street View map application, a spokesman said
    Friday.
    world of warcraft gold
    Paul Heidanus, a police spokesman in the town of Groningen, said he believed it was the first time Street
    View images had been used in a Dutch criminal investigation.
    "For us, it is unique," he said.
    A 14-year-old boy told police last September he had been robbed of euro165 ($230) and his cell phone after
    two men dragged him off his bicycle in Groningen,110 miles northeast of the capital, Amsterdam.
    cheap wow gold
    The victim called again in March after seeing an image of himself and two men he believed were his attackers
    on Street View, police said in a statement.

Health Top Tips Nutrition Love Lifestyle Happiness Weight Loss

Heidanus said prosecutors sent a formal request to Google for the original photo because people's faces are
    blurred on Street View.
    buy wow gold
    "You must tell Google clearly why you want them," Heidanus said of the photo request. In this case, "the
    photo could provide an important contribution to solving a crime."

The company complied, and a robbery squad detective immediately recognized one of the twins.
    Prosecutors will now decide whether to charge the suspects, whose identities were not released.
    World of warcraft gold
    Since it was launched in 2007, Street View has expanded to more than 100 cities worldwide. But it has drawn
    complaints from individuals and institutions that have been photographed, including the Pentagon, which
    barred Google from photographing U.S. military bases for the application.
    A spokesman for Google in the Netherlands did not immediately return

3. zerglisk

zerglisk New Member

註冊日期:
    2009-02-16
    文章:
    讚:
    希望他活的快樂就好
    剛好在我生日當天離開 而且就住在Fullerton... (也太近了吧)

真是令人惋惜啊~

4. chromeboy

chromeboy Member