本文由 Sing2003-06-06 發表於 "音樂、樂理、其他樂器" 討論區

1. Sing

Sing New Member

註冊日期:
    2001-09-08
    文章:
    讚:
    St Anger is out!Motherfucker.......
    I'm now in Hong Kong...I still cant get the new CD.....(I've asked some shop,they even dont know Metallica is putting out a new ablum.....@&#$*^#$)
    You can get all the live video of the new songs,which will also included in the new ablum's bouns DVD.
    St anger studio live
    Hope I can get it as soon as possibile.....
    Wake up!All the Metal head!

2. Shawn

Shawn Moderator

註冊日期:
    2002-05-23
    文章:
    讚:
    期待很久了. 不過, 之前說要放的曲目(No leaf clover & Minus human: included in 'S & M')卻不見了...

剛剛滿懷期待的去看了video, 結果卻感到挺失望的, 覺得並沒有什麼新的元素, 但是東西的深度卻又似乎不如從前; 還是我已經不那麼"沒頭"了?

總之, 我覺得還是不錯. 只是我的期望已經被多年的等待弄得不成比例的高吧?

3. [] JEM.ZAX []

[] JEM.ZAX [] Active Member

註冊日期:
    2003-02-03
    文章:
    讚:
    慘了,剛剛去HC逛了一下,大家給St.Anger的評價不高..

My $.02 on Metallica's St. Anger CD

I haven't purchased a Metallica CD since Justice, and I swore I wouldn't purchase another one until they got heavy again. I heard some of the clips from St. Anger, and it's obviously the heaviest thing they've done in quite some time, so today I went to Best Buy and much to my surprise it was only $9.99. I've only listened to it once, so it may grow on me, but right now I think it's just mediocre. Here are some of my thoughts:

The production is absolutely horrible. I swear to God, I can (and frequently do) get better results from my home studio ProTools LE setup. There is no separation between the instruments, and the hi-hat is too damned loud. Don't even get me started on the snare, because it's friggin' terrible. I just don't know how Bob Rock could be in the control room getting drum sounds and think that was a good snare sound.

The songs don't flow at all. They simply sound like a bunch of different riffs and pieces that were assembled in Pro Tools, which I think is actually what they did. It's hard to believe this is the same band that wrote Master Of Puppets and Fade To Black.

The guitar sound is kinda week. It sounds like they got away from laying down track after track of guitars. That was a key to the 'Metallica' sound. There is a lacking of BALLS.

What happened to the Bass guitar? It just is almost non-existant in the mix. You'd think that since Bob played it, it would be heard.

What in the hell is the deal with the beginning of track 3? It starts with a guitar riff, and there is some sort of background noise. It almost sounds like the snare rumbling from the guitar. Is that supposed to be cool? It's very unprofessional.

Where are the guitar solos? I think a lot less of Kirk than I used to since he turned into "Mr. Wah-Wah Pedal", but I can't believe there isn't one single solo. What happened to such memorable solos from Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning? They were a big part of the songs and really added something. Instead of repeating the same riffs over and over too many times, they could have thrown in a solo or two.

Did I mention the production sucks!?!?!?! If they had the same production for this as the Black album, I would probably like it a lot more. On the other hand, the production of Ride The Lighting wasn't that great, but I still love the album because the songs themselves are good enough to stand on their own.

Overall, I don't think it totally sucks. It's nice to hear them play with some energy and passion. I would say the album is Fair, and give it a six out of ten for a rating. I can't picture myself still popping in St. Anger five years from now and loving it the way I love the first four Metallica albums. Maybe it will grow on me...we'll see.

I also bought Mudvayne's CD for $9.99 too. I'm already digging it a lot more than St. Anger.

by Bstaley from HC

4. Shawn

Shawn Moderator

註冊日期:
    2002-05-23
    文章:
    讚:
    </font><blockquote>引言:</font><hr /> What happened to the Bass guitar? It just is almost non-existant in the mix. You'd think that since Bob played it, it would be heard. </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, I don't think Bob played on the album. If I remember correctly, by the time Bob joined they had completed all the recording already.

But then again, when Jason Newsted was still there, bass tracks on previous Metallica albums were never really noticible anyway. I somehow suspect that in some way they still haven't quite got over Cliff's death (the original bass player).

As for the production/recording comments mentioned in the review, I think it's only one man's opinion: I wouldn't imagine that Metallica, after throwing in so much effort to make this long-awaited album, would be as careless as this dude says. I think he's just showing off what he can do and how much he knows about recording or production. I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Fine. But bashing other's effort like that is kinda pathetic.

However, I do agree that it sounds 'fair' only. Like I said, I expected SO MUCH from Metallica...

5. 鳥蛋

鳥蛋 New Member

註冊日期:
    2002-06-10
    文章:
    讚:
    我小時候是聽metallica長大的...好懷念..
    而且奇怪的是,自從我的taste從metal轉向blues/country/indie之後
    我所有的metal團都不聽了...但是越來越愛聽metallica
    而且最愛聽..and justice for all
    Shawn說的"深度"在那張真的很能感受到,
    而那張的音色我覺得是他們前期最重的一張(自從黑色專輯後他們漸漸不那麼"硬"了,開始旋律性了起來)

BTW,聽說四個人(連Newsted)都是Gay....just rumor:p

6. Shawn

Shawn Moderator

註冊日期:
    2002-05-23
    文章:
    讚:
    </font><blockquote>引言:</font><hr /> 聽說四個人(連Newsted)都是Gay....just rumor:p </font>[/QUOTE]應該是Europe吧? ^皿^

7. [] JEM.ZAX []

註冊日期:
    2003-02-03
    文章:
    讚:
    Shawn...

我是還沒聽過這張,不過從你連結的那個St.Anger MTV,那首在監獄的歌..對我的震撼度不高,Kirk好像也厭倦彈solo,HC給他的稱號"Mr Wah Wah Pentatonic",我讀了一些聽過的人感想,大多都不是很好...這一張離上一張也有五年了....哇!!!

評判音樂本來就是主觀性大..^^

澳洲要九號才上市..>_<

8. Shawn

Shawn Moderator

註冊日期:
    2002-05-23
    文章:
    讚:
    JEM.ZAX,

樓上Sing放的link可以聽到不少其他歌(video, actually). 不妨試試.

是啊. 音樂這東西當然是主觀的. 不過, 像HC那位仁兄的某些"主觀假客觀"類的comment, 嘿嘿, 我不是很能認同...

9. rock99

rock99 New Member

註冊日期:
    2002-09-28
    文章:
    讚:
    哈哈!被我抓到了,果然這些傢伙真的很喜歡背地裡「偷偷」用Gibson而且沒改成EMG PU,從很久以前我就覺得Gibson刷metal真的很夠力,絕不輸ESP和Jackson,尤其是custom,真的猛!但不是那種鬆散的狂暴!
    我也很喜歡..and justice for all,夠硬!夠重!夠沒人性!他們現在就太有人性了。

10. Shawn

Shawn Moderator

註冊日期:
    2002-05-23
    文章:
    讚:
    Sing,

My bad. I thought the guy at HC was talking about ROB (the new bass player)... ^皿^ Yes, it was played by BOB, the producer.

rock99,

是啊. 有一天該讓你聽聽我珍愛的Custom shop Toni Iommi SG: pure E.V.I.L. ^皿^

11. Sing

Sing New Member

註冊日期:
    2001-09-08
    文章:
    讚:
    I've got the ablum today.Actually I've heard the whole ablum b4 I've got it.But they just sounds different from the live video.
    Something to clear up first.This ablum's bass track DO play by Bob Rock,their producer.And unlucky,the ablum's production is not really good.....
    Ok.This ablum have 11 tracks.Written by the WHOLE band(Not only by James and Lars) even the lyrics.Those songs are cool---Heavy,fast,great riffs and lots of tempo change.That's what all metallica's fans want.But,This ablum's production really not good at all....First,I dont like the guitar sound.I think that's weak,not as powerful as b4.Lack of low end sound I can say.Second,the drum track also doesnt sounds good.---I especially hate the snare sound.Maybe that's only me but I really dont like the sound of this ablum.They clam that they just wanna keep that "Raw" sound.So they doesnt mix it at all....But I dont think that's a good idea...Bob rock is famous for those "Over-production" ablums.James and Lars always care ablums' production b4....I just dont know why they can put out an ablum without mixing it.......
    Abt those songs---Heavy and fast!I dont give a damn abt the solos stuff.They really put out some good riffs.I dont think that's "Nu-metallica" sound.I didnt see any nu-metal in st.anger.And yes,You wont belive those drum track are played by Lars---Everyone just think that he can never play so fast since Justice.I'll rate the drum track of this ablum besides Justice(The best IMO).
    I like "All within my hands" most.Those "Megadeth-a-like" vocial in "Shoot me again" is cool."Some kind of monster" is heavy as shit.I keep headbanging when I'm listening to "St.anger"...As a hardcore fans of Metallica,this ablum kick ass.But you may need some time to get used to it.

12. rock99

rock99 New Member

註冊日期:
    2002-09-28
    文章:
    讚:
    Shawn
    看來我必須去買把Angus Young才能跟你拼

13. xanthous

xanthous New Member

註冊日期:
    2002-12-15
    文章:
    讚:
    </font><blockquote>引言:</font><hr />原留言人 rock99:
    哈哈!被我抓到了,果然這些傢伙真的很喜歡背地裡「偷偷」用Gibson而且沒改成EMG PU,從很久以前我就覺得Gibson刷metal真的很夠力,絕不輸ESP和Jackson,尤其是custom,真的猛!但不是那種鬆散的狂暴!
    我也很喜歡..and justice for all,夠硬!夠重!夠沒人性!他們現在就太有人性了。
    </font>[/QUOTE]我可以請問一下 為什麼你覺得"尤其"是custom嗎?
    因為我看了一下
    除了fingerboard是ebony跟rosewood不一樣
    custom跟standard好像就沒什麼不一樣了?(不提外觀)
    PU應該都是490/498吧(除了最近的改burstbucker)
    neck好像都是rounded的呀 還是我搞錯.. @@

14. 大阪人

大阪人 New Member

註冊日期:
    2003-05-16
    文章:
    讚:
    我對這張也感到相當失望
    之前有抓到MTV 聽完兩首以後
    只覺得技巧還是在 只是鞭金的味道不見了
    感覺上好像在嚐試轉型?!?!

或許我還得花時間再多聽多幾次才會習慣吧???

15. Shawn

Shawn Moderator

註冊日期:
    2002-05-23
    文章:
    讚:
    </font><blockquote>引言:</font><hr /> 我可以請問一下 為什麼你覺得"尤其"是custom嗎?
    因為我看了一下
    除了fingerboard是ebony跟rosewood不一樣
    custom跟standard好像就沒什麼不一樣了?(不提外觀)
    </font>[/QUOTE]rock99說的我大概能體會. 我自己也試過很多Custom, 雖然說影響聲音的應該只有指版材質的不同, 但是聲音的attack和bass的結實度在我聽來真的有明顯的差別(雖然並不是很大). 當然, 這有可能是我的主觀意識影響.

16. rock99

rock99 New Member

註冊日期:
    2002-09-28
    文章:
    讚:
    我有一把Standard和一把白色和RR一樣的Custom,其實音色真的差很多,不然Gibson幹嘛出兩種型,一般來講custom聲音較硬,bottom較厚實,彈重一點的東西蠻適合,像RR、Marty friedman、瑞奇山芭樂最近也用custom。而standard較smooth、輕一點,彈老式搖滾、藍調都很好,比較接近allman brothers、山塔那那種,屬於甜美型,custom則較凶悍一點。這是偶個人的看法啦!
    metallica有一首歌,kirk也拿了一把很像standard的,其實也沒規定什麼音樂就要用什麼吉他,喜歡或有創意就好吧!
    我的偶像Lynch在一場Live也用過Gibson,彈起來真是跟ESP沒什麼差別,我也覺得很奇怪

17. [] JEM.ZAX []

註冊日期:
    2003-02-03
    文章:
    讚:
  18. [] JEM.ZAX []

註冊日期:
    2003-02-03
    文章:
    讚:
    METALLICA's HAMMETT Explains Why There Are No Guitar Solos On 'St. Anger' - June 9, 2003

METALLICA's Kirk Hammett recently explained to Holland's Rockezine.net why there are no guitar solos on the band's new album, "St. Anger". "The reason for that is because again we wanted to move together all four of us in the same musical direction," he said. "We also wanted to preserve the sound of the album. When we tried to put overdubs on the album and put guitar solos on the album it kind of…it sounded like an afterthought, you know? Like something was put on after we created it. It stood out. We wanted to preserve the sound of all four of us in a room just jamming. Spontaneously together. To put production stuff on top of that just didn't sound right. We tried to put guitar solos on, but we kept on running into this problem. It really sounded like an afterthought." Asked if he's satisfied with how the record came out, Hammett said, "Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm so proud of this album. It freaks me out. I haven't been this proud of an album since 'The Black Album', I must say. I mean, the 'Load' and 'Reload' era for us was such a reaction to our first five albums. We didn't want to do what we had been doing: play fast, over the top and aggressive. If anything, the 'Load' and 'Reload' era was a big experiment in hard rock. We needed to do these two albums for us to make 'St. Anger'. If we would have made 'St. Anger' in the mid-nineties, it wouldn't have been fresh and as exciting for us as it was now. It would have felt like doing the same old thing. We needed to balance it out. When we finally got around playing fast and aggressive again, it sounded fresh. You need to get to point A to be able to make point B sound better, you know?"

In the same interview, Hammett predicted that METALLICA's new album would influence other metal bands to play harder and faster once again and implied that another well-known arena act has already pulled the plug on their new release after getting an advance earful of "St. Anger".

"I have a suspicion that once this album drops and people hear it everywhere, I just have this suspicion that bands are gonna get heavier and start playing faster again," Kirk said. "I just have a suspicion that they are.

"I'll tell you one thing," he continued. "Lars played Fred Durst four songs of our new album and the next week Fred Durst postponed the release of the new LIMP BIZKIT album and started rewriting it. Lars and I were talking about it, 'Did he postpone it because he wasn't satisfied with it or did he postpone it because he heard our direction and wanted to be contemporary with it?' It's interesting. We'll see."

19. Shawn

Shawn Moderator

註冊日期:
    2002-05-23
    文章:
    讚:
    Anyway...it's a great album, but I don't like it (not that it should matter to anyone). That's all...

我個人還是喜歡之前聽起來似乎"軟"一點, 但是卻又"dark"很多的調調. Speed & power just don't equal "impact" to me...

20. shredder

shredder Member

註冊日期:
    2001-11-12
    文章:
    讚:
    坦白說,可能是因為我是一個"Die hard SHRED HEAD"!所
    以比較GX!!!一點solo也沒有,就直接轉成Nu-metal團算
    了!St Anger這首歌真他X的難聽死了!!!怎麼和Ride the
    lighting那時相比,Creed都比他們"悍"!!!

分享此頁面